Wharf Engineering

Centreless Grinding and Precision Shaft Specialists

C&A Roberts Premises Whitwell 1910 - 1922
Arthur Roberts in centre (rolled up sleeves) and Charles Roberts (bearded gentleman behind and to the left of Arthur.
C&A Roberts Factory - Photo early 1930s Built 1926
Arthur with daughter Connie and staff in the 1930s.
C&A Roberts Whitwell Factory 1930s
Whitwell Factory 1930s
Engine arriving for reconditioning
Reconditioned large diesel engine 1960s
Crankshaft Grinding after World War 2
Engine building early 1980s
Ground Gudgeon Pin Wharf Engineering 1970s
Gudgeon Pin Grinding Wharf Engineering 1970s
Wharf Engineering Centreless Grinders 1970s Stable Block
Wharf Engineering Centreless Grinders Judo Hall 1970s
Previous slide
Next slide
C&A Roberts Premises Whitwell 1910 - 1922
Arthur Roberts in centre (rolled up sleeves) and Charles Roberts (bearded gentleman behind and to the left of Arthur.
C&A Roberts Factory - Photo early 1930s Built 1926
Arthur with daughter Connie and staff in the 1930s.
C&A Roberts Whitwell Factory 1930s
Whitwell Factory 1930s
Crankshaft Grinding after World War 2
Engine arriving for reconditioning
Reconditioned large diesel engine 1960s
Ground Gudgeon Pin Wharf Engineering 1970s
Gudgeon Pin Grinding Wharf Engineering 1970s
Wharf Engineering Centreless Grinders 1970s Stable Block
Wharf Engineering Centreless Grinders Judo Hall 1970s
Engine building early 1980s
Previous slide
Next slide

Our Company History

C & A Roberts Limited is a family owned engineering company founded in Whitwell, Hertfordshire by Charles and Arthur Roberts in the late 19th Century. In 2015 we celebrated 100 years as a limited company.

The company’s current Managing Director is a great, great grandson of Charles Roberts.

The Company first started as blacksmiths and wheelwrights before Arthur Roberts began rebuilding motor vehicles and particularly engines sometime before the 1st World War.

In 1926 a new factory was built in Whitwell, Hertfordshire. The Company became well known for engine recondition and rebuilding. This involved remachining of all major engine components such as crankshafts and cylinder blocks.

During the 2nd World War production work was undertaken for tank engines being produced by Vauxhalls in Luton.

In 1958 Anthony Roberts Welbourne became Managing Director expanding the Company into the manufacture of poultry handling equipment which was exported around the world.

In 2000 with the demise of engine reconditioning and the loss of market for poultry handling equipment the Company acquired Wharf Engineering a specialist centreless grinding company based in Biggleswade, Bedfordshire.

Wharf Engineering was founded in the 1960s by Reg Tarpy, Bill and Tom Chisholm. Reg and Bill having been engineers with the Cincinnati Grinding Company.

Today by combining the true craft skills of centreless grinding with latest CNC machine tool technology C & A Roberts and Wharf Engineering have created a unique precision engineering company.